Credit Al Drago for The New York Times
WASHINGTON — In a post on Twitter on Wednesday, President Trump accused past administrations of paying “extortion money” to North Korea and said diplomatic talks are not sufficient.
It was not clear what money the president was referring to. Mr. Trump has been both open to and against talks with North Korea. Last week, the president said he thought Pyongyang was starting to respect the United States, but then North Korea brazenly launched a missile this week over Japan, forcing Japanese residents to take cover. The missile landed harmlessly in the ocean.
On Tuesday, Mr. Trump said that North Korea’s message had been received.
“The world has received North Korea’s latest message loud and clear: This regime has signaled its contempt for its neighbors, for all members of the United Nations,” Mr. Trump said in a statement.
Past American administrations have tried diplomatic approaches and imposed sanctions on North Korea in an effort to convince North Korea to abandon its weapons programs.
Source: New York Times